NRT and Three Star grabs 3 point in their crucial tie

KATHMANDU, June 11: Mega Three Star Club registered a two-goal victory after four matches as it defeated minnows Brigade Boys Club (BBC) 2-0 on Saturday in the Martyrs Memorial Red Bull A Division League Football Tournament at the Dasharath Stadium. The win lifted the team from seventh to fourth position in the points table.

In its last four matches, Three Star had defeated Jawalakhel, Manang Marshyangdi Club (MMC), New Road Team (NRT) and Bauddha FC with identical score of 1-0 respectively.

The last time Three Star had won by more than one goal was the 2-0 win over against Swayambhu on May 17. Three Star had routed Koilapani Polestar 5-0 in its league opener on April 29. Among the 10 matches played so far, Three Star has won seven, lost two and drawn one.

Earlier, NRT beat Mahindra Bansbari FC 2-1 with goals in either half to hand the latter its third defeat in a row. With the result, NRT having equal 22 points as that of fourth-place Three Star and third-place MMC, moved one spot ahead to occupy fifth position. MMC has a one-match advantage over the other two. Holder Nepal Police Club occupies the top spot with 26 points.

Meanwhile, Friends Club came back from a goal down to inflict a 3-2 defeat on Armed Police Force at its home ground at Halchowk. With the win, Friends climbed two spots to ninth with 14 points from four wins, four losses and two draws, while APF remained unchanged in 12th place with 10 points.

Santosh Tamang scored twice for Friends and Tanka Bahadur Syangten netted the other to upset the departmental team in its first league match at home. Ganesh Lawati´s 25th minute lead for the home team could not last for long as Tamang found the equalizer eight minutes later and put Friends ahead four minutes into the second half.

Top Bahadur Bista hit back the equalizer in the 67th minute to the delight of APF staffers. However, the departmental side conceded the third goal in the 76th minute through Syangtan and APF´s attempts at another comeback failed.

At the Dasharath Stadium, Bishad Gauchan gave a second minute lead to Three Star in a solo effort with a powerful strike from outside the box to pile early pressure on BBC. Bikram Lama then ensured the team´s victory in the 59th minute with an unstoppable diving header inside the box in a pass from Gauchan.

Three Star dominated the ball possession and also created a couple of other scoring chances. In the dying moments of the first half, Anil Ojha hit wide from the box with only the goalie to beat. Similarly, Raju Rai, who squandered a couple of opportunities, failed to beat BBC custodian Suman Ranjitkar in a one-on-one position. Sunil Bishwakarma of BBC made an attempt on goal but his powerful low shot was brilliantly saved by goalie Kiran Chemjong.

Three Star coach Meghraj KC expressed satisfaction toward his side´s performance. "We could have scored more goals had the boys not squandered chances," said KC, who rated his side as a medium level team. "One should not have huge expectations from the team."

BBC manager Arvind Gurung attributed the defeat to absence of two key players, Yalambar Rai and Diwas Gurung. Winger Rai missed the match as he had received two yellow cards while striker Gurung was ruled out due to injury. "Besides, some of the members of the squad are injured."

Earlier, Kenyan player Aaron Blackie Cole scored his third league goal to put NRT ahead in the sixth minute. Cole made a skillful display to open the scoring beating three Bansbari defenders in the box and goalie Lucky Karki. Substitute Nabin Lama hit back the equalizer for Bansbari in the injury time of first half beating an offside trap and glovesman Raju Yogi in a pass from Bola Rai. Lama had replaced Sanjiv Rijal three minutes before the end of first half.

The match decider came from substitute Asim Karki 11 minutes after he entered the game as a replacement for Laxman Ruchal. Karki chipped over an advancing goalie Lucky when he met a pass of Subash Gurung

No comments: