ANFA fined $15,000 for spectators conduct

4 Dec 2009 - The All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) has been fined $15,000 by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

A meeting of the AFC Disciplinary Committee on November 25 decided to fine Nepal for the improper conduct of spectators during the AFC U-19 Group ´A´ qualifiers held in Kathmandu from October 25 to November 4. However, ANFA can appeal the AFC decision.

An AFC statement published on its official website Thursday states, “The All Nepal Football Association has been fined US$15,000 for the conduct of spectators during the AFC U19 Championship 2010 qualifier between Nepal and Jordan on November 1, 2009 in Kathmandu. The ANFA has the right to appeal.”

Along with Nepal, China, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Oman, Vietnam, Iraq, Kuwait and Lebanon football association have been fined under the same charge -- improper conduct of spectators. Each of these countries has the right to appeal.

However, the fine imposed on Nepal is the highest. The Kuwait Football Association has been fined $12,000 while Oman has been fined $ 3,000, the lowest among the nine. Chinese and Indonesian football associations have been fined $7,500 and $10,000 respectively.

ANFA President Ganesh Thapa said ANFA would appeal the AFC Disciplinary Committee decision and request for reduction of the fine amount. “The incident happened after Jordanian players provoked the audience,” said Thapa. “We will clarify this to the AFC."

“However, ANFA will admit that the incident was unfortunate and express commitment to make sure such dents do not repeat in the future,” Thapa said adding, “Being an underdeveloped country we will request them to reconsider the fine amount”.

Similarly, Bahrain, Myanmar, Malaysia, Jordan, Singapore, Kuwait, Jordan and Lebanon football associations have been fined for other charges.

In the AFC U-19 match held on November 1 at the Dasharath Stadium, assistant referee Shakour Heidar of Iran was injured when a stone thrown by spectators hit him.

Spectators had pelted stones at him after the Jordanian team that was limited to nine men took an unexpected lead while the match was a 2-2 draw.

Heidar, who sustained injuries to the head, was rushed to the nearby hospital. He was replaced by the fourth official Saleem Ali from the Maldives.

Earlier, ANFA was slapped a fine of $7,000 after viewers hit a Kyrgyzstan player with water bottles and coin during the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers 2010 at the Dasharath Stadium on March 28, 2009.

No comments: