BUC heroics hold Army; Three Star beat JYC


KATHMANDU, March 13: A goal from substitute player Ashim Karki in the injury time helped Boys´ Union Club (BUC) hold Army Club to a 3-3 draw during the Martyrs Memorial San Miguel A Division League Football Tournament at the Dasharath Stadium on Saturday.

In the day´s another match, Nabil Three Star Club defeated Samsung Jawalakhel Youth Club (JYC) 2-1 to climb up one step in the points table to seventh position. With the defeat, JYC slipped down two steps to the 11th spot with four points while Three Star have collected 8 points. All teams have played six matches so far.

The army are in sixth position with eight points and BUC have earned five points till now to remain at the 10th spot.

BUC suffered an early scare in the fifth minute as their captain Sagar Ghimire sent the ball into their own net. Custodian Binaya Shrestha blocked Bikarna Shrestha´s shot in Raju Tamang´s pass but Ghimire´s attempt to clear the rebound shocked BUC.

Soon after conceding the goal, Binaya Shrestha blocked a powerful shot from Bikarna Shrestha. The BUC custodian´s heroics didn´t end there as he also saved Raju Tamang´s shot from the box in the ninth minute.

A mistake by Amar Limbu in the first half helped the army gain the ball, which Bikarna Shrestha shot again but was blocked by the BUC custodian. Shiva Chaudhary was quick to pass the rebound to Raju Tamang that he headed into the net in the 30th minute.

Sudip Limbu of BUC managed to narrow down the lead 10 minutes later when army´s goalie Bikash Malla moved forward to collect the ball when Limbu was speeding toward the post with it.

In the competitive second half, Bibi Raj Limbu added another goal for the army in the 76th minute as they led the match 3-1. Two minutes later army goalie Malla made a spectacular save as he dived to punch away Shekhar Limbu´s shot set by Sanjeev Tamang. Malla was barely on his feet when Kamal Shrestha volleyed the ball into the net to score the second goal for BUC.

As the match was about to end, Ashim Karki volleyed a ball from outside the box to level the match in the first minute of injury time, just two minutes after entering the grounds.

Army´s coach Raju Shakya said there are still chances for the team to win the league. BUC´s coach Kumar Katuwal said he was not satisfied with the performance of his team but was happy to hold the army.

Meanwhile, Santosh Sahukhala scored an opener for Nabil Three Star Club in the injury time of the first half. Pradeep Maharjan provided a cross to Sahukhala after tackling a JYC player. Sahukhala´s shot hit the post and was deflected in.

Earlier, Three Star missed some good opportunities. Anjan KC´s long shot from about 45 yards hit the bar and went above. Tanzanian player Castory Mumbara, who debuted for Three Star, struck a powerful long-range shot but JYC custodian Bikram Gurung blocked it.

In early second half, JYC´s Laxmi Shrestha´s shot hit the bar. KC, coming down in an overlap, doubled the lead in the 64th minute as he beat goalkeeper Gurung and chipped the ball in a pass set by Sahukhala.

JYC were able to hit back in the 74th minute when Yogesh Shrestha scored in Laxmi Shrestha´s pass. JYC´s Ajay Thapa got the marching orders after being booked for a second yellow card in the fading moments.

JYC coach Suman Yonjan said they lost despite playing well while Three Star coach Bal Gopal Maharjan was happy to win the second match of the season.

No comments: